Small Claims Court – Small Claim Lawyers | Chicago, Illinois

June 16, 2018 by Barry Zlotowicz Law Firms 

Small Claims Court – Small Claim Lawyers | Chicago, Illinois

Small Claims CourtIf you suffered minor injuries in a Chicago, Illinois, auto accident, you might want to consider filing a lawsuit in small claims court. If you want to speak to a small claims lawyer, feel free to contact us at 847-305-4105.

This is for information purposes only. Our firm represents people who suffer significant injuries in car crashes and other personal injury accidents. We do not handle property damage or other small claims cases. Still, I hope you find the information below valuable and that it helps you pursue your action against the insurance company or other party.

What is Small Claims Court?

According to the Illinois Attorney General website, small claims court is the ideal court to file a lawsuit in if you have suffered damages of $10,000.00 or less (plus costs). As such, if you suffered any of the following and your damages were less than $10,000.00, you might want to consider filing in small claims court:

  • Property damage
  • Personal injury
  • Breach of contract
  • Eviction
  • Repossessions
  • Garnishments

I am a Chicago Illinois auto accident lawyer. I also represent victims of dog bites, slip/trip and falls and other personal injury matters. If you suffered damages of $10,000.00 or less in a personal injury related matter, I may be able to help you.

Why choose Small Claims Court

It’s faster, cheaper, less formal, and intended to resolve smaller disputed claims. In addition, if you were involved in an auto accident and the insurance company is being non-responsive, filing suit against their insured driver will force them to act.

Do you need an attorney in Small Claims Court

No, technically you do not need an attorney. However, the insurance company will have an attorney there representing their insured and as such, it may be a good idea for you to be represented as well.

If you are involved in an eviction or other non-injury related matter, you can probably represent yourself. However, do your research first. There is a lot of information on the Cook County website about small claims court. In addition, there is a free website offered by Illinois Legal Aid that has a lot of valuable information. I did a YouTube video on “Pro se” representation that you could view as well. Pro se basically means representing oneself.

Small Claims Court cases I can help with

I receive a lot of calls from people injured in auto accidents who suffered “minor” to moderate injuries. I’m referring primarily to soft tissue back and neck strains and sprains. Don’t get me wrong, these are real injuries. However, insurance companies simply aren’t paying for them anymore.

If you attempt to negotiate a settlement on your own, Allstate or Farmers will likely offer you your medical expenses plus a very small sum on top to compensate you for your pain and suffering. When I small I mean $250-$1,000.

That is not enough money to adequately compensate you for what you’ve been through. However, most attorneys cannot take on a case like that because there is so little of a payoff down the road.

I may be able to help you. If you:

  • Went to the emergency room or sought medical treatment the day of the accident
  • Have $3,000 to $6,000 in medical bills
  • Suffered a significant sprain/strain that required you to obtain a MRI or physical therapy

If your injuries were worse than that or your medical bills are in excess of that, then you may have an even larger case.

What is required of you?

If you do retain my office to represent you for your injuries, I will obtain your medical bills and records at my own cost and will only be reimbursed for those costs if we recover for your damages.

However, I expect clients that retain me to represent them as their small claims lawyer to pay for the fee for filing their complaint. If we prevail, you may be reimbursed for this and other costs.

If you would like to discuss your small claims court case with a small claims lawyer, contact me at 847-305-4105.


This blog is for entertainment and informational purposes only. It is not intended as legal advice and the accuracy thereof is not warranted or guaranteed. This information is prone to errors and omissions. Use this information at your own risk. Reading this blog does not create an attorney-client relationship. All content in this blog is owned by the creator. This blog may include copyrighted information. Use of this information constitutes a “fair use” of this material.

Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Call


Fill the form below, we will call you back

Join our mailing list

The information on this site is not intended to be legal advice. Consult with an attorney for legal advice. Reading and visiting this site does not create an attorney-client relationship nor does sending an email to any of the attorneys listed on this site. An attorney-client relationship will only be made upon the appropriate consent of both you and the attorney.