Chicago Car Accident Lawyer – Soft Tissue Injuries

Your Chicago car accident lawyer has handled countless personal injury accidents where the injuries of our clients were what is called “soft-tissue injuries.” In fact, the vast majority of  injury accidents result in soft tissue injuries as opposed to more serious accidents that result in fractures, herniated discs or brain injuries.soft tissue injuries from car accident

Soft tissue injuries can occur as a result of any type of accident such as a car accident, motorcycle accident, slip and fall, or bicycle accident. These types of injuries may include:

  • Sprains
  • Strains
  • Bruises or contusions
  • Whiplash

In terms of settlement value, soft tissue injuries are generally worth less than other injuries. Nevertheless, they cause serious pain and suffering and should be compensated.

Often times, soft tissue injuries can be remedied through mild pain medication, visits to a chiropractor and/or physical therapy.

These types of injuries are generally caused by trauma, like that caused in a Chicago car accident, where a victim’s body is thrown back and forth, often in a whiplash motion. However, our office has handled cases where victims hurt parts of their bodies other than their necks. Torn ligaments are often considered to be a soft tissue injury. Victims of car accidents often suffer torn or stretched ligaments in their shoulders, elbows, hips or knees.

The result of soft tissue injuries can often be chronic long-lasting pain that interferes with a victim’s everyday activities.

If you or someone you love is the victim of a soft tissue injury, he/she may be entitled to compensation for:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Reimbursement for medical bills
  • Lost wages

It’s important after suffering soft tissue injuries in a car or other accident that you do not wait to obtain medical treatment. We receive calls all the time from clients who were injured through no fault of their own but who wait to get medical treatment. This makes our job in recovering for your pain and suffering much more difficult. Insurance companies will attempt to pay you as little as possible. A common argument by an insurance adjuster is that there was a large “gap in treatment” by our clients and/or that they weren’t diagnosed with their injury (often a bulging or herniated disk) for months after an accident. As such, it is imperative to get medical treatment as soon as possible.

Finally, engaging an experienced personal injury lawyer to represent you, help you obtain medical treatment and ultimately assist you in recovering for your injuries, is essential.

If you have suffered a soft tissue or another injury in a Chicago car accident, we can advise you on Illinois personal injury laws and help you file a claim. Contact Barry Zlotowicz at 847-305-4105.

Additional Things To Do Or Not To Do After A Chicago Car Accident

Additional things to do after a Chicago car accident

I often get asked questions from people involved in Chicago car accidents. They asked some poignant questions about what they should and should not do following their Chicago car accident. I thought I would share a few of these thoughts with you.what do to after a Chicago car accident

Should you report the accident to your insurance company? Yes.

Even if you consider your Chicago car accident to be minor, its still important to report it to your insurance company. What happens if weeks following the accident the damage turns out to be much more significant than you expected? You could be out of luck. Often times slight impact accidents cause significant damage to a car even if the cosmetic aspect of the accident does not seem serious.

Should you repair minor damage to your car? Yes.

Even if you think the damage to your car was slight, it is important to get it fixed. Scratches, dents and dings can often lead to more serious damage later on. They may also threaten the structural integrity of your car. So if you are able, get your car fixed.

Should I report the accident to the DMV? Yes.

Each state has different reporting requirements. But in general, its mandated by law that you report your Chicago car accident to the DMV. See your local statute for specific requirements.

Should I go to the doctor? Yes.

You are probably not a medical professional. As such, it is imperative that following an accident you see your doctor as soon as possible. Whether it’s a trip to the ER or a visit with your family practitioner, get medical treatment. Often injuries such as a concussion don’t reveal themselves immediately. And they may be more serious than you think. Further, though less important, if you try to make a claim with an insurance company later, it will be much more difficult if you wait to get medical treatment.

Should I accept full or partial responsibility for the Chicago car accident? No

Do not discuss responsibility for the Chicago car accident if at all possible. It cannot help you. If you make an admission of fault, regardless how small, it will come back to haunt you.

Should I give a statement to the other (not mine) insurance company? NEVER

Do not give a recorded or written statement to the insurance for the guy/gal who caused the Chicago car accident. It won’t help you and in all likelihood will come back to haunt you in the end. The insurance adjuster is NOT on your side. They are looking to pay you as little as possible and to assign as much blame on you as possible. Never trust an insurance adjuster.

If you were involved in a Chicago car accident and you want to speak to an attorney, please feel free to contact me, Barry Zlotowicz, Chicago car accident lawyer, at 847-305-4105.